Added safety measures for athletes to see trainer

Perry Mellone

When a student athlete is hurt, they usually can go see the trainer anytime during their respected hours, get the help they need, and then continue on with their practice. But due to COVID-19, more safety measure are being taken this year, such as signing in and out, wearing masks, evaluations, and more.

Remi Williams, Sports Editor

Typically when a student athlete is hurt, they can go see the trainer anytime during the trainer’s  hours, get the help they need, and then continue on with their practice. 

However this year in order to keep everyone safe, additional measures are being taken. 

“Athletes will need to sign in and sign out.,” co-trainer Scott English said. “Masks will also need to be worn at all times.”

Instead of players being able to get help at school, players will now be evaluated. 

We will see athletes at the time of injury or before school to evaluate an injury. At that time we will formulate a plan of when and where,” English said. “The goal will be to keep each evaluation time to a 15 min time frame.”

The amount of people in the room will be kept to a minimum. 

“In the event that we tell an athlete to come back later, it is not that we don’t want to see them but that the training room is too full at that time,” English said. “Also the majority of rehab programs will be prescribed and expected to be completed at home or during parts of practice.”

In addition to changes to in-person training, increased sanitation is also being used.  

“Tables and equipment are being sprayed down after each use,” English said. “Locker rooms and training rooms are being fogged after each athletic period.”