Annual flu clinic registration open for students and staff

Frisco ISD is hosting their annual flu immunization clinics. There will be a clinic at Liberty on Tuesday in the library.

Caroline Caruso, Managing Editor

For staff, students, and family members looking to get their flu shots, the school will be hosting its annual flu clinic in the library Wednesday from 5-6 p.m. Staff members are able to get appointments starting at 3:30 p.m., all without having to leave campus.

“Just the other day, I had entered a reminder in my phone to call my doctor’s office to make an appointment to get a flu shot when I saw an email about the clinic on campus,” journalism teacher Brian Higgins said. “Being able to walk about 50 yards around the corner from my room is way more convenient than driving somewhere.”

All participants must register online and there will be no walk-up appointments available.

Before entering the building, those wishing to receive a shot are obligated to bring a consent form, an insurance card, and a copy of their driver’s license to ensure the process moves quickly.

With COVID-19 still very much a concern for many people, most health experts are encouraging flu shots this year to help reduce a possible overload on hospitals and the medical field.

“During the COVID-19 pandemic, reducing the overall burden of respiratory illnesses is important to protect vulnerable populations at risk for severe illness, the healthcare system, and other critical infrastructure,” the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said in a news release. “Thus, healthcare providers should use every opportunity during the influenza vaccination season to administer influenza vaccines to all eligible persons.”