Football will be taking the field with limited fans

Emily Vetvick

Limited amount of fans will be allowed in football stands this fall. Parents of athletes will be able to get tickets first, then students will be able to.

Shreyas Viswanathan, Staff Reporter

Going into the fall season this year, the number of spectators will be limited for all Frisco ISD football games as season tickets won’t be available, but individual tickets will be sold online for each game in the days leading up to kickoff. 

“I think not having season tickets is the most prudent thing to do given the circumstances,” head football coach Matt Swinnea said via email. “There are so many uncertainties, including potential shutdowns or suspension of the season, it makes sense not to encumber all parties with advanced sales. It will be a different atmosphere to be sure, but I would think the mere fact that we are getting to play would motivate any player that was truly invested.”

However, varsity defensive end Chika Ugoh doesn’t necessarily feel that his performance will be affected because of the limited number of people in the student section.

“I honestly don’t think it’s as important because as long as it’s in the back of my mind that it’s a real game, I step up to another level,” Ugoh said. “But I do feed off of the energy of the crowd and they give me a boost when I’m tired or when I make a bad play. It can go either way depending on the game.”

The exception for fan attendance is that parents of participating athletes, cheerleaders, as well as band and drill team members, will be given access to purchase tickets. 

That means student attendance will be limited.

“I believe that we can make an impact,” senior Chandler Benson said. “Being there for them to cheer them on through ups and downs no matter what and not having that this year might affect the way the football team is looked upon.”