Acoustic Avenue: Big Sean album review

Morgan Kong

In this weekly column, senior Emily Thomas provides her take on a new albums, concerts, and artists.

Ana Toro, Staff Reporter

Big Sean has released his 5th studio album, Detroit 2, which serves as a sequel to his 2012 mixtape Detroit.

There are so many things to talk about regarding this album. It is absolute perfection from the production to the lyrics to the features. The most notable song on the album is “Friday Night Cypher” which features nine different Detroit rappers including Eminem and lasts for a total of 9 minutes and 28 seconds.

The whole album is a masterful show put on by Big Sean in which he talks about growing up in Detroit, dealing with hate, relationship issues, and persevering in the most difficult times.

In his song ”Deep Reverence”, featuring the late Nipsey Hussle, Sean talks about reaching out to people he had issues with and lost communication with like Kendrick Lamar. He also goes into detail about suicide and anxiety in this song when he says “In high school, I learned chemistry, biology, but not how to cope with anxiety… I ain’t think I had the thought of suicide in me until life showed me all these different sides of me.” This is a line that hits close to home and I think that it was a perfect topic for him to bring up especially as the album came out two days before Suicide Prevention Week.

The problem with this album, which isn’t a problem at all, is that you can’t have a top three because it is constantly changing. So right now, my top three would be “Why Would I stop?”,

Wolves” and “Friday Night Cypher”. The production on these songs is insane, and the lyrics in all three give you a feeling of power: it’s you against the world, and nothing can stop you.

I have to congratulate Big Sean on this album, it truly is a masterpiece, and it shows just how much he has improved over the years.