PAP and AP drop window opens

As+the+first+6+weeks+come+to+an+end%2C+students+will+have+the+opportunity+to+drop+PAP+and+AP+classes+beginning+Friday.+The+drop+window+closes+Sept.+24%2C+and+students+will+follow+their+new+schedule+starting+Sept.+28.+

Remi Williams

As the first 6 weeks come to an end, students will have the opportunity to drop PAP and AP classes beginning Friday. The drop window closes Sept. 24, and students will follow their new schedule starting Sept. 28.

Aarya Oswal, Staff Reporter

The window for students to drop AP and PAP classes opens up on Friday with a form available on the counselors website for students wishing to make changes to their schedule.

“All students currently in PAP or AP class will be eligible to drop to an on-level equivalent course,” M-R counselor Amanda Zambiasi said. “Students will be asked to have a conversation with their teacher if they are requesting to be moved out of their class. All students that submit the AP/PAP drop form will be moved out of the class. Students also need to be aware that their schedule will most likely be impacted if they choose to drop their PAP/AP class. Multiple classes could change on their schedule, along with teachers and lunches.”

The window for AP and PAP drop closes on Sept. 24 at 4:30 p.m. with new schedules available for student viewing in HAC at the end of the day on Sept. 25. Students will start their new schedule on Sept. 28.

AP English teacher, Kacie Smith, believes communication between teachers and students is key to figure out what is best for each student and their mental health.

“The idea of taking a lot of AP classes sounds like a good idea and then the experience of it is a totally different thing,” Smith said. “I think that it is really important to have those conversations with the teacher before you decide to make that switch, one way or another, just so that everybody is on the same page, because I think that teachers really do want their kids to be successful. I think that we also really want you guys to make the best decisions for you and for your mental health, because I know that you guys are super focused on your GPA but we also kinda see that all the other factors that are out there.”

In hope of relieving unnecessary stress, junior Aden McClune plans on dropping an AP class.

“I’m dropping AP music theory because it’s not what I thought it would be about,” McClune said. “It is also a lot of added stress that isn’t necessary. I’ll probably double block if I can but I am open to whatever the counselors might suggest [for new classes].”