Cecily+Yoakam

Cecily Yoakam is the new assistant band director, having studied Music Education at University of North Texas. Though she already has experience directing band, with two years under her belt teaching middle schoolers in south-central Texas.

Cecily Yoakam

September 25, 2020

After studying at the University of North Texas for Music Education, the campus welcomes a new assistant band director, Cecily Yoakam. She’s been interested in band ever since middle school and decided to make having fun in band her career.

Wingspan: Where are you from?

Yoakam: “I have moved around quite a bit over the years, but most recently I have moved to Frisco from Indianapolis, Indiana.”

Wingspan: How long have you been directing band?

Yoakam: “This is my third year as a band director. I taught middle school band in south-central Texas for two years.”   

Wingspan: What exactly is your job? Or, how would you describe it?

Yoakam: “Just like a math teacher ‘directs’ their math class, my job is to teach band! Working together as a team, myself and the other directors teach four different concert bands and the marching band during the fall, as well as an after-school jazz band in normal years. In addition to teaching students to read music and get better at their instrument, we focus heavily on developing good people to be successful outside of school and the band hall.”

Wingspan: Was it always your intention to teach here?

Yoakam: “When I was in college, I had an opportunity to do a lot of observations with Mr. Weaver and Mr. Elvidge, while also work with the marching band in the fall. Through those opportunities, I was able to witness how unique and special the culture of the Liberty Band is, and I knew as a developing teacher I wanted to be a part of it. So I suppose, yes, to an extent it was always an aspiration of mine to teach at Liberty.”

Wingspan: What college did you go to? How long did you go?

Yoakam: “I went to the University of North Texas, where I studied Music Education, for four and a half years, graduating in December following a semester of student teaching practicum experience.”

Wingspan: How have your first few weeks been, especially with the pandemic?

Yoakam: “Even with the pandemic, they have been great! The students are incredible and are working so hard even with the challenges of this new learning environment.”

Wingspan: What instruments do you play?

Yoakam: “A part of learning to teach band, I have learned how to play every instrument, but my primary instrument that I studied in college is the oboe.”

Wingspan: What are your favorite parts of directing band?

Yoakam: “I love connecting with students and watching them grow through music. The coolest thing about being a band director is watching a student change as they get older since we usually see them for three-four years at a time. Making music every day with them is fun too, but definitely building those relationships and watching students grow is the best part.”

Wingspan: What goals do you have for yourself and your students this year?

Yoakam: “My goals for the students of the Liberty Band is that we all come out on the other side of this school year as better people, with more empathy and compassion for others, and to always hold kindness in their hearts for others. My hope is that we can continue to move forward as a band, getting better at music and marching band but above all to leave this year as better people than when we started.”

Wingspan: What is the most difficult part of directing a band?

Yoakam: “Probably the most challenging part of being a band director is time management. One of the unique and fun parts of our job is juggling many things at once; you have to be a good multitasker to be a teacher! As a band director, we are a teacher, administrator, accountant, counselor, coach, and musician. So finding time outside of these tasks is challenging, but when you are a part of a team as great as the one here at Liberty, it makes it way easier!”

Wingspan: What do you like to do in your free time?

Yoakam: ”I enjoy watching documentaries and getting outdoors, especially hiking and kayaking when I can make the time to get out there.”

Wingspan: What’s different about our school compared to other schools you have taught at?

Yoakam: “Probably the biggest difference about Liberty is the atmosphere and the motto of “Work Hard, Be Kind”. Coming from teaching middle school, the atmosphere of high school is very different as well but the added focus on being kind and trying your best is awesome.”

Wingspan: In your journey of becoming a band director, how would you say supported you the most?

Yoakam: “I’ve been incredibly fortunate to have support from my parents, specifically my mom. She has always pushed me, given me tough love when I needed it, and encouraged me to always have fun and try my best every day.”

Wingspan: What advice would you give to struggling students?

Yoakam: “My advice would be to don’t ever give up completely. It is 100 percent okay to get upset/angry/feel defeated, but you absolutely have to pick yourself back up and try again to do the next right thing. Talk to someone you trust and feel safe with, find a new plan, and calibrate to find what works best for you in all of your classes, and ask for help! You are not alone, and there are many people who care for you out there. Please just don’t give up and continue to keep trying your best.”