Students prepare for upcoming jazz band auditions

As+jazz+band+auditions+approach%2C+the+process+will+look+different+this+year+due+to+COVID-19.+Rather+than+playing+in+front+of+directors%2C+students+will+submit+a+video+of+their+work.+%E2%80%9CI+think+it%E2%80%99s+good+that+they+are+still+doing+auditions+because+there+is+the+saying+that+the+show+must+go+on+and+though+it+may+happen+virtually%2C+it%E2%80%99s+good+that+they+are+continuing+and+letting+us+continue+our+passion%2C+senior+Aadit+Chadbury+said.+

Kennedy Williams

As jazz band auditions approach, the process will look different this year due to COVID-19. Rather than playing in front of directors, students will submit a video of their work. “I think it’s good that they are still doing auditions because there is the saying that the show must go on and though it may happen virtually, it’s good that they are continuing and letting us continue our passion,” senior Aadit Chadbury said.

Grant Milleson, Staff Reporter

Practice is underway for students interested in being selected for the All Region Jazz band as recordings will be submitted online Oct. 10-14, with the school’s jazz band following a similar process. 

“Students will need to prepare the selection from the TMEA All-Region Jazz etudes. That information will be announced soon,” assistant band director Tyler Elvidge said. “Liberty Jazz auditions will function the same as past years. Students will audition over a selection from the TMEA All-Region Jazz etudes. Audition details will also be released soon. The interest level, number of students per each instrument, and skill level will determine how many jazz bands there are and how many people there are in them.”

For senior Juan Pablo Trujillo, making a jazz band is a goal that he has put a lot of work into.

“I really like jazz and this is an opportunity to play with a good band. Also it’s an achievement that I’ve been working rather hard for,” Trujillo said. “I’m preparing for it by practicing the pieces and listening to sample recordings. I’m especially practicing improv which I have some trouble with.”

Although a lot of things have changed with COVID-19 and some band students learning from home, students such as senior Aadit Chadbury are happy with the way auditions are being handled.

“I think it’s good that they are still doing auditions because there is the saying that the show must go on and though it may happen virtually, it’s good that they are continuing and letting us continue our passion,” Chadbury said. “I try to keep my routine as consistent as possible. Listening is an important part of that routine as jazz, though you can learn notes and rhythms, the style and the feel can only be picked up through listening to different genres of jazz and different players. So I always try to incorporate that into my daily routine along with my daily instrumental practice sessions.”

The online audition process allows students to submit their best recording of the music.

“I’m honestly happy with the way that auditions are going to be conducted this year,” Trujillo said. “Apart from preventing the spread of COVID-19, it gives me more opportunities to do it right and I don’t have to sit in a room for two hours.”