Pregnancy project provides fresh outlook

Jordan Battey

Students in Child Development take on a new project requiring them complete four full periods of school while wearing a pregnancy simulator. The experience provided students with a new perspective among multiple other revelations.

Jordan Battey, Staff Reporter

In order to explore the realities of pregnancy first hand, Child Development students must complete four full periods of school while wearing a Pregnancy Profile Simulator, a wearable belly vest that replicates the third trimester of pregnancy. 

“This is meant to give students an idea of what it is like to be pregnant, but honestly it’s more than what it just feels like physically,” Child Development teacher Kristi Swinnea said. “The girls, when they are wearing the belly around school, get some really weird looks sometimes. I just want them to get an idea of what it’s like, because you really do not want to get pregnant unless you have a strong support system.”

The vest weighs about 25-30 lbs., and is designed to elevate body temperature as well as bladder pressure and cause difficulty breathing. 

“Wearing the pregnancy belly was definitely different socially and physically,” sophomore Brooke Miller said. “Physically it was very heavy and huge to carry around and I also felt like I couldn’t do normal activities. It took me longer to get to classes across campus because of all the extra weight I was carrying. However, overall I think it was a positive experience because I now have better empathy for moms, having to go through a fraction of what they had to go through during pregnancy.”

While this major grade project posed some challenges for junior Brynn Soulakis, she understands the importance of it’s message.

“In theatre we usually sit on the stage to watch people’s performances, but I had to use a chair instead,” Soulakis said. “Also, my backpack wouldn’t fit over both of my shoulders so I had to sorta let it dangle off one. I learned a lot about what pregnant women have to go through during their pregnancy, and I learned about some areas of pain they might experience that I never even thought of, and just how hot and sweaty you can get!”