Yearbook joins TikTok

Selling+yearbooks+when+half+of+the+student+body+is+in+the+virtual+academy+is+difficult.+Yearbook+moves+to+TikTok+to+help+remind+students+to+buy+the+yearbook.+

Selling yearbooks when half of the student body is in the virtual academy is difficult. Yearbook moves to TikTok to help remind student’s to buy the yearbook.

Asha James, Guest Contributor

A fun dance.

Scroll.

Someone baking.

Scroll.

A relatable skit.

Scroll.

What many consider a platform for entertainment and mindless scrolling, the yearbook staff has been using to reach students regardless of whether they are in-person or virtual. The new yearbook staff TikTok account also aims to inform students about important yearbook information and sales.

“This idea came from the students,” yearbook adviser Kimberly Breen said. “Mostly as a way to reach potential customers who use the popular app.”

From due dates to special promotions, yearbook tries to deliver quality advertisements as they stay up to date with the trends.

“Generally we try to participate in any kind of trend possible, but we make sure to incorporate the yearbook in any way possible,” marketing director senior Shunmathi Rajesh said. “Sometimes we do TikTok dances and just change the lyrics a bit to include the yearbook.”

Since flyers and posters around campus only inform the in-person students, Editor-in-Chief senior Alice Cai believes that relying on social media platforms will be the most efficient way to reach students.

“We’ve realized that since half of our school is mainly virtual, one way to increase and randomize the number of people in the yearbook is through our Instagram and other social media accounts,” Cai said. “Our goal for this account is just to reach as many parts of our school as we can.”