Opinion: Hoverboards and public places do not mix

One of the final projects of the year could be one of the most helpful for speech students as they conducted mock interviews with their teachers which could prove to be useful for students applying for jobs at Stonebriar Centre mall.

Emma Crampton

When attending the mall, people should be able to get their coffee and shop in peace. That’s how it should be. However, the sad reality is, kids cannot seem to leave their technologically advanced toys at home.

Hoverboards. They are everywhere. Almost every kid who owns one of these things can’t seem to keep them off of their social media feeds or keep them in their house. I understand they are exciting and fun, but is it really necessary to take them shopping with you?

You probably aren’t thinking about the safety hazard you are causing when you’re on the hoverboard, but you could hurt yourself or someone around you very easily with a hoverboard; especially if you’re not watching where you’re going. I speak from experience.

The incident happened when I was walking right outside of Starbucks in Stonebriar Mall. I had just received my iced caramel macchiato with two extra shots of espresso, and I was very excited about it. However, I only got a solid four sips of it, though, before it ended up on the ground. Along with me. One of the many careless hoverboard users bumped into me and knocked me and my coffee over.

It’s already bad enough if you take your hoverboard with you to the mall, but then if you happen to be on your phone at the same time, you’re just a rolling safety hazard.

Getting knocked flat on your face to the floor and spilling your coffee everywhere because of a careless hoverboard user isn’t exactly the ideal situation when visiting the mall. If you own a hoverboard, shoppers everywhere are mentally begging you to save your fun for your house, or at least somewhere where you won’t cause any hazards to other people.