Flying high, Redhawks seek to ground the Falcons

Remi Williams

Coming off a close win, the football team looks to continue their winning streak. Friday the team takes on the Lake Dallas Falcons at 7:00P.M.

Remi Williams, Sports Editor

After a close win (58-51) last Friday against Memorial High School, the Redhawks look to improve their District 7-5A record to 3-0 as they travel to Lake Dallas to take on the Falcons starting at 7:00 p.m.

For head coach Matt Swinnea, game planning for Friday’s game is more about an inward focus than an outward one. 

We’ve been studying Lake Dallas film since the spring,” head football coach Matt Swinnea said via email. “Just like we do with all our opponents. Our coaches spent all weekend polishing up our plan and we feel good about the opportunity. We are our toughest opponent, so we spend a great deal of time worrying about us and how we execute. We simply make minor tweaks to our scheme each week to address the opponents’ strengths and weaknesses.”

The team has been practicing for more than 13 weeks now, and for Swinnea that means spending less time on the physical aspects of the game. 

“At this point, practices are about correcting mistakes and working on any nuances we have for each opponent,” Swinnea said via email.  There is much less physical and much more mental preparation at this point.”