Gary Burns Fun Run goes virtual

provided by Frisco ISD

Participants won’t be able to gather together in their running gear or costumes for the annual Gary Burns 5K and Fun Run this year.

Shreyas Viswanathan, Staff Reporter

With COVID-19 not making it possible to host the annual Gary Burns 5K and Fun Run this year, the Frisco Education Foundation is bringing a creative approach to it by hosting a virtual event that runs to Oct. 31 in which participants can run, walk, or cycle on their own, anytime during the two-week window.

“This year is a challenge wrapped in a mystery,” FEF Board of Trustees president Sunitha Cheruvu said via email. “We will be hosting it as a virtual run for the first time ever and are planning some Halloween themed fun. We hope the community and their friends and family around the country will join the run and help support students and educators by walking, running, rolling in their neighborhood or on their treadmills over the two weeks we have allotted for the race. We are having weekly giveaways and various awards including the farthest away, most vintage Gary Burns t-shirt. I’m looking forward to seeing all the submissions and building the community feeling through the fun of participation.”  

This year’s event will have a Halloween theme, and families are encouraged to wear costumes while they participate and take and post photos on social media. Prizes will be awarded in several categories for photos shared on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram

“I like to focus on silver linings so while the GB5KFR doesn’t look like it has in years past, it is happening virtually and we are excited to invite everyone of all ages and abilities to register for the race,” Cheruvu said via email. “There’s a special four family pack for the race to make registering as a family easier. I urge all of FISD Alumni to register and invite your college friends and coworkers to do the same. I hope we take away that we are greater than our challenges and with a little help from our friends, we can make great things possible for one another. See you at the GB5KFR, virtually!” 

The event is the largest annual fundraiser for the foundation, which exists solely to provide financial resources to maximize student potential in Frisco ISD.

“The FEF Gary Burns 5K & Fun is the major fundraiser for foundation programs,” FEF Director Allison Miller said via email. “We do not have fundraising events throughout the year. Registration/participation in the race is crucial as it directly impacts our funding for scholarships to the Class of 2021 and the funding we are able to award for teacher grants. I know our community will still show up during this time of COVID and rally by participating in the event. It is the Frisco way!”