Piece by Piece: Halloween

Staff reporter Madison Saviano explores hot topics and issues that students face in her weekly column Piece by Piece.

Madison Saviano, Staff Reporter

This week’s column won’t be like usual. I won’t be getting deep and I won’t be talking about the skeletons in my closet. Instead, I’d like to dedicate this to something I know we’re all heavily anticipating: Halloween.

I can’t believe it, but the day is almost upon us. I don’t have a costume, I barely have plans, and my room is barren of any spooky decorations, yet I can tell by the overwhelming enthusiasm deep in my soul that the day is near. Still, I haven’t prepared a bit…

Mostly due to the fact that this year is a special case and partially because I’ve been swept up by school, but still, something has to be done. In the little time I have before Halloween I want to milk this holiday for all it’s worth. After all, it’s not just any time of the year that you can get away with eating candy for lunch or be allowed to wear black nail polish on freakishly long Elvira nails. Here’s what else you can do to get in the spirit.

First of all, you’ve got to get in the mindset by watching movies that reflect how you want to feel. For instance, if you want to feel cheery and somewhat cliche, watch Practical Magic. That movie will certainly get you in the fall spirit and all without robbing you of a good night’s sleep.

That leads me to my next point: don’t scare yourself into the Halloween spirit. Unless you’re one of those weirdos who tolerates that kind of film throughout the entire year, don’t make Halloween a special occasion. There’s nothing to be ashamed of in watching It’s the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown for the 50th time. Nor is there reason to be ashamed of watching Coraline or the Corpse Bride or any other kid’s movie, especially if Tim Burton is involved.

Aside from movies, there’s always wicked music to get you in the mood. Most streaming services know this and have already prepared a myriad of Halloween inspired playlists. If you want though, you can always just make your own! As long as you include the classics like “Thriller”, “Monster Mash”, and “Dead Man’s Party”, you’re good to go. Personally, I’ve been listening to these songs since the clock tolled midnight on October 1 so I have to admit I’m a bit tapped out. If that’s the case with you too then fear not, there’s more in store.

Speaking of what’s in store, have you been shopping yet? It wouldn’t be a true American holiday if it didn’t inspire us to buy a bunch of overpriced stuff that will inevitably become worthless the very next day. Take advantage of that and make it a tradition to go shopping the day after Halloween so you can rejoice in all the clearance candy! If becoming a glutton isn’t for you and you’d like to skip that step don’t worry, there’re plenty of other ways to waste your money. Lacking inspiration? A simple Pinterest search should clear things up.

This leads me to my next point: do it yourself! This is practically Pinterest’s sole purpose and from pumpkin bread to pumpkin carving, there’s something on it for everyone. This is actually another one of the many things I did on Oct. 1 to christen myself in the name of Halloween. Yes, there’s nothing better than baking a “pumpkin bread recipe” that quickly turns into a pumpkin pie recipe because you fail to follow a few simple directions… anyways, make the most of it.

Finally, the last thing you need to do is dress for the occasion. I know it’s hard to do that this year without feeling out of place since there aren’t many places to wear your costume to but don’t let this discourage you. Just yesterday I saw a girl in school wearing a Carrie costume covered in head-to-toe “blood” and it was awe inspiring. If you’re less courageous then do what I’m doing and sneak a bit (or a lot) of Halloween into each of you outfits in the days leading up to Halloween. Remember, it’s not just any time of the year that you can get away with this stuff so take advantage of it while you can.