Spread out in different locations on campus, eight Redhawks put pen to paper and signed National Letters of Intent on Wednesday. (Remi Williams)
Spread out in different locations on campus, eight Redhawks put pen to paper and signed National Letters of Intent on Wednesday.

Remi Williams

Eight athletes put pen to paper for National Signing Day

Redhawks will continue their athletic careers all across the country

November 11, 2020

Rather than numerous athletes sitting at one table in the library, the eight Redhawks who officially committed to colleges to continue their athletic careers, were spread out in different locations on campus for Wednesday’s National Signing Day.

Ally White- soccer

Senior Ally White holds her newly signed Letters of Intent. White will be playing at University of Louisiana.

Wingspan: What school did you choose?

White: “I chose the University of Louisiana

Wingspan: Why did you choose that school?

White: “I chose Louisiana because of the unique culture and family-type atmosphere. Everyone I’ve met in Lafayette has been so nice, and say nothing but good things about the school, the food, and the town. The coaches are also great people who value service and unity within the team.” 

Wingspan: What are you expecting from being a college athlete?

White: “While playing college soccer, I expect to be pushed out of my comfort zone. I am going to be competing at a high level, therefore the speed of play is going to increase drastically. There are going to be challenges, but I am ready to prove myself as a person and an athlete.”

Wingspan: How long did it take you to make this decision ?

White: “It took me around two months to decide Louisiana was the place for me.”

Wingspan: What other options were you contemplating?

White: “Besides Louisiana, I was considering the University of Houston and Abilene Christian University.

Wingspan: How do you plan on using the rest of the year to get ready to be a college athlete?

White: “The rest of this year will be a lot of maintenance. I will be finalizing all the lessons I’ve learned throughout the years, and making sure I stay consistent. I am practicing my study and organizational habits to prepare myself for the academics. I am excited for my upcoming senior year because I am ending my club and high school career with my family and best friends by my side.”

Avery Jennings- soccer

Wingspan: What school did you choose?

Jennings: “I chose Lubbock Christian University.”

Jennings: “My decision to commit to LCU was truly a God thing! My heart was drawn to the amazing coaching staff and the players that made me feel like I was already a part of the family! It was the place where I could imagine myself the most confident and most successful on and off the field.”

Jennings: “I’m expecting it to be challenging, but also a place where I can thrive and become a leader off and on the field.”

Wingspan: How long did it take you to make this decision? 

Jennings: “I committed in the middle of my sophomore year, and it took me around 6 months to make a decision.”

Jennings: “I had offers from West Texas A&M, Midwestern State, Angelo State, and Eastern New Mexico.”

Jennings: “I really want to focus on fitness and preparing myself the best I can for college practices and games!”

Chandler Benson- baseball

Chandler+Benson+is+seen+suporting+all+red.+For+his+senior+season+in+baseball%2C+it+will+continue+to+represent+the+Redhawks%2C+however+for+his+next+four+years+it+will+be+for+the+University+of+Nebraska.+

Chandler Benson is seen suporting all red. For his senior season in baseball, it will continue to represent the Redhawks, however for his next four years it will be for the University of Nebraska.

Wingspan: What school did you choose?

Benson: “I chose the University of Nebraska.”

Benson: “The reason I chose the school was because of the close relationship with the coaches and knowing the opportunity the university gives me not only in baseball but in life.”

Benson: “I expect from being a college athlete is to pursue the career I love, which is baseball and take it to the next level after college.”

Benson: “It took me a day after my offer to decide. I wanted to accept what they offered. I knew from day one that  Lincoln felt like home.”

Benson: “Nothing contemplated my decision with Nebraska because immediately I knew I wanted to go there.”

Benson: “I plan on using this baseball season during high school to grow on the game for one more year before I get to bigger and better things in college.”

Damiana Bova-Ford -volleyball

The first volleyball player of this season has signed to George Mason University. Damiana is supporting all green as she gets prepares to work hard for her college career.

Wingspan: What school did you choose?

Bova-Ford: “George Mason University” 

Wingspan: What school did you choose?

Bova-Ford: “Location, education, and conference” 

Bova-Ford: “Long days of studying and practicing” 

Bova-Ford: “I officially verbally committed in March, and made it public 9 months later this November.” 

Bova-Ford: “College of Holy Cross and Memphis University” 

Bova-Ford: “Use my offseason I have to lift and increase my vertical.”

Lizzy Stone- golf

Wingspan: What school did you choose?

Stone: “Wheaton College

Stone: “I chose it because I loved the academics, opportunities, and team.”

Stone: “I’ve been talking to schools for about a year so I guess it took a long time but once I visited and met everyone, I knew it was where I wanted to go.”

Stone: “I was also talking to Colorado Christian and Westmont but I loved everything about Wheaton. “

Stone: “I get to focus more on the fundamentals of the game so I’ll be doing a lot of drills and swing work whereas before I was just trying to score good.”

I really want to focus on fitness and preparing myself the best I can for college practices and games!

Owen Archer- baseball

Wingspan: What school did you choose?

Archer: “I decided I’m going to the United States Naval Academy.”

Archer: “I had the opportunity to play baseball and have an amazing opportunity to attend a school like the Navy.”

Archer: “I’m definitely excited I know it’ll be tough and be demanding at times but will also be fun to play at the next level.”

Archer: “I had talked to the coach for about a year and they showed they were interested and gave me 3 days to make my decision and that’s when it happened.”

Archer: “I was also talking to some Ivy League schools but decided USNA was better for me.”

Archer: “I plan on doing some throwing programs and working out with liberty in preparation for that life.”

Summer Knox- soccer

Summer Knox is preparing to continue her soccer career at Sam Houston State. She chose this school because it felt like home to her.

Wingspan: What school did you choose?

Knox: Sam Houston State” 

Knox: “It felt like home” 

Knox: “A lot of work and but also having fun with teammates.” 

Knox: “It took me a couple of months.”

Knox: “ I also thought about Colorado State.” 

Knox: “Using this time to get in shape and mentally prepare for the rigors of being a college athlete.” 

Zoe Junior- soccer

After receiving multiple offers from major schools, senior Zoe Junior chose to play soccer at Texas State. She knew Texas State was the place for her after visiting the team.

Wingspan: What school did you choose?

Junior: “I chose Texas State.”

Junior: “I chose this school because after my visit I felt like that’s the best place for me to grow as a person and a soccer player.”

Junior: “I’m expecting to just better my craft which is soccer and I’m sure this D1 program can do that for me.”

Junior: “It didn’t take me that long—after getting invited to the camp and on a college visit I loved the coaches, the campus, and it felt like a great environment.”

Junior: “The other options I was considering were UTSA (University of San Antonio), UNT, SMU, and Baylor University.”

Junior: “For the rest of this year I’m going to be doing harder workouts to get into college soccer shape and work on more of my ball skills and just focusing on the sport as a whole.”