Opinion: Passing periods offer plenty of time

Guest Columnist Aliza Porter puts the 6 minute passing period to the test.

6 minute passing periods were put to the test by guest columnist Aliza Porter as she discovered theres enough time to make it to your locker and then to class.

Maddie Owens

6 minute passing periods were put to the test by guest columnist Aliza Porter as she discovered there’s enough time to make it to your locker and then to class.

Aliza Porter, Guest Contributor

When it comes to why students don’t use their lockers, a lack of time between classes is often cited. However, that theory was recently put to the test. On a recent B Day, Porter recorded how long it took to get to her locker (upstairs in the science hall) before each of her classes.

8:55 a.m.: The bell has rung for first period passing and I am heading to my locker, which is upstairs by my first period biology class. I stop at my locker to put a few items in my locker that I won’t need for a while. I had a few problems using my combination to open my locker but I got it on the 3rd try and then I continue to class with my friend.

8:58 a.m.: I made it to class without having to rush or run and with two minutes to spare.

10:36 a.m.: The bell rings for second period passing while I am still gathering all of my work into my backpack. I hurry to my locker and take out what I need to and then turn around to the side stairs at the end of the math hall. I get slowed down by a crowd of students downstairs in the English hall and I try to by past all of them quickly. I make my way past the echo hall while keeping track of the time.

10:41 a.m.: I make it on time into the gym to wait for instructions for dance with only a few seconds to spare. I had to rush going from upstairs to downstairs while stopping at my locker.

12:16 p.m.: The bell rings and I have lunch so I walk with my friend from the athletics hall to her class upstairs and then I go get my lunch out of my locker and take the side stairs to go to lunch.

12:20 p.m.: I make it to lunch on time with a few minutes to spare, but I had to rush in order to get a seat at my table at lunch.

12:45 p.m.: The bell rings for third period passing and I hurry from the cafeteria to go upstairs to put my lunchbox in my locker while there are not a lot of people flooding the halls. I hurry and put my lunchbox in my locker and then take the side stairs to go down stairs and past the echo hall to my BIM class.

12:50 p.m.: I walk into my BIM class as soon as the bell rings. Even though I rushed, I was still almost late to class. Having to go upstairs and then back down stairs is a hassle.

2:28 p.m.: The bell rings for fourth period passing and I hurry out of class. I go upstairs to my locker and grab my algebra binder from my locker. As I am coming from my locker, I get stuck in a sea of people and make my way towards the restroom before I go to algebra. I stop to use the restroom, wash my hands, wait for my hands to slowly dry under the dryer, and then I head to algebra.

2:33 p.m.: I made it to algebra on time with a few seconds to spare, but I had to hurry and watch the time.

Using a locker, making it to class on time, and taking care of other things is possible. Students can use their lockers on a regular day schedule and still make it to class on time as long as they use their time wisely, watch the time and are quick.