Both boys’ and girls’ basketball take the court

Sarah Boutouis

The girls team continues their preseason this weekend, both Friday and Saturday. The boys begin theirs Friday night against Prosper.

Harley Classe, Assistant Sports Editor

Looking for wins across the board to tip off the season, the girls’ basketball team takes on Bridgeport on Friday at 7:00 p.m., and then the #1 6A team in the state, Duncanville on Saturday at 4:30 p.m. at The Nest. The boys will also play this weekend competing against Prosper High School at 1:30 p.m. on Saturday.

Counting on the team’s ability to work together, senior Park McCurdy is excited for the season and the opportunity to work alongside his teammates.

“Our team’s strength last season was how much we all worked together and got after it everyday in practice and for every game that we played,” McCurdy said via text. “To prepare we will have a good full week of practice to focus on our opponent and how they play, so we can have the best game plan possible and be in the best position to win that we can be.”

To help prepare his team for their upcoming competition, head coach Stephen Friar has held practices daily with goals of exceeding last season’s expectations.

“We’ve been practicing hard since August, watching film, and just really trying to settle in and get the season going,” Friar said. “I predict that we are going to just come out with a sense of gratefulness to even be playing.”

On the girls side, following the team’s state title last season, the Redhawks are still seeking improvement despite being the defending state champion.

“We are a strong team but we know there is still a lot of place for improvement,” junior Ashley Anderson said via text. “We need to get in the flow of things but the season should turn out well. The game this Friday should be good, Bridgeport is a strong competitive team, so we need to be deliberate and poised for the game.”

As a result of the constant changes to the world due to COVID-19, girls’ head coach Ross Reedy feels he cannot truly make any accurate predictions for the upcoming season, however he is looking forward to seeking a sense of normality following the start to basketball.

“I said a long time ago, this is a season that is new in so many ways,” Reedy said. “It is going to be a season that no matter what happens is going to have an asterisk on it. I just predict that when we are out there, we are going to enjoy ourselves, play hard, enjoy being around each other and hopefully be competitive.”