Pre-AP now a thing of the past

Guest contributer Sindhuja Pannuri shares her thoughts on the level of importance SAT scores have on college admissions. However, thanks to the COVID-19 pandemic, colleges have shifted their focus away from SAT scores.

Megan Lin

Caroline Caruso, Managing Editor

Pre-AP classes will soon be a thing of the past. 

But it’s not what you think. 

Starting off with the 2020-2021 school year, Pre-AP classes will be given a new name.

The change to “advanced” has been in the works for a while, and is a result of a decision ultimately made by the College Board

“College Board is essentially reclaiming their brand,” Frisco iSD Advanced Academic Coordinator Krisha Chetty said. “Overtime universities were saying they wanted to reclaim their brand. With all that College Board said if you don’t choose and pay for their system by 2021-2022 you have to change the name.”

But as far as students are concerned, nothing should change. 

“There will be nothing different for students or teachers in advanced classes,” he said. “GPA will stay the same, curriculum will stay the same. We feel like we already have a great curriculum and we’ve been very successful over the years, so there is really no reason to pay for a new curriculum.” 

Frisco ISD sits at one of the largest AP programs in Texas, with over 25,000 secondary students participating in Pre-AP or AP classes. 

“We are not changing anything other than the name,” Frisco ISD Managing Director of Academic Programs said in a news release. “Our Advanced coursework will reflect the continued high level of success in preparing students for dual credit and other advanced coursework.”