Featured Athlete: William Jackson

Grade: 10 | Sport: Football

Harley Classe, Assistant Sports Editor

Wingspan: When did you start football?

Jackson: “I started playing when I was either 8 or 9.”

Wingspan: What is it like being a sophomore on varsity?

Jackson: “It’s different. There are a lot of kids bigger than me which makes it difficult sometimes but it’s a good challenge.”

Wingspan: Who encouraged you to start football?

Jackson: “my dad encouraged me to start as well as my grandfather. They’re both into it a lot so as soon as they could get me in it the better.”

Wingspan: What is the hardest part about football?

Jackson: “I think the hardest part is to get knocked down one play then have to get right back up and do it again.”

Wingspan: What’s your favorite part about your sport?

Jackson: “My favorite part is the thrill of it or the feeling that every play could be a chance for you to do something exceptional. It’s a rush.”

Wingspan: Who is your biggest role model?

Jackson: “My biggest role model is definitely my dad. He’s been practicing with me since before I can even remember.”

Wingspan: What is one thing people think about your sport that isn’t actually true?

Jackson: “I think people think that football is a lot more physical than it is mental when in reality every play you have to kind of figure out a puzzle because if you have everybody in the right spot then you can easily stop anyone you want. But, if someone is out of place that’s when you begin to let up points and so forth.”

Wingspan: Do you have any superstitions?

Jackson: “Yes. I am very superstitious. One of my superstitions is that every game I have to wear two left socks or I’ll have a bad game.”

Wingspan: Do you have a pregame routine?

Jackson: “Recently I’ve started to watch the TV show The Office before every game. It calms down the pregame anxiety which is the point of a pregame routine I think.”

Wingspan: What or who motivates you?

Jackson: “I think the fact that I can always do better is what motivates me and so every week I’m motivated by my performance last week and hopefully it’s a gradual improvement each week.”

Wingspan: Why do you like your sport?Jackson: “I like it because it tests all kinds of things. Every play your decision making, athletic ability, etc. It’s fun to kind of test yourself throughout the course of the game.”