Football kicks off their playoff run

Sarah Boutouis

For the first time in a decade the football team has made it to the playoffs. The team plays Ennis High School at 7:30 on Friday night.

Remi Williams, Sports Editor

It’s been almost a decade since the Redhawk football team’s last appearance in the playoffs. 

The team last made the playoffs in 2011, but the program then fell on hard times culminating in a 20-game losing streak that ended in the final game of 2019 with a 45-35 win over Wakeland High School

That all changes Friday night as the team travels to Ennis to take on the state’s top ranked 5A Division II team the Ennis Lions.

Going 1-9 in 2019 may not seem like much, but it was the springboard to this year’s squad making the playoffs with a 6-4 record. 

“Winning the last game of the season gave us a huge boost of confidence going into the offseason,” junior Joseph Hancock. “We had a great offseason because of that and have seen those affects this season. Making the playoffs feels really good. It’s super fun to see all of our hard work pay off.”

Finishing District 7-5A in 4th place with a 5-3 record, Friday’s game is the payoff of a long season according to head coach Matt Swinnea. 

“The playoffs are a reward for a great season,” Swinnea said. “This team navigated a grueling 8 game district schedule in the midst of a world pandemic.  They have brought hope and excitement to Liberty HS and I couldn’t be more proud of the mark they have made.”

For some seniors on the team such as Prince Ugoh, this season is something special.

“‘It means that our hard work and sacrifice has been noticed and awarded,” Ugoh said. “I am hoping to shock those that doubt us.

For principal Ashley Rainwater, the team’s success this year is an example of the school’s motto.

The football team moving from a 1-9 season to making the playoffs is a great example of the best that our students have to offer,” Rainwater said via email. “Our athletes faced challenges and setbacks on the football field the past few years, but they never gave up.  I could not be more proud of our players and coaches for the dedication and commitment they have shown.  Through all the adversity, they have epitomized our motto of ‘Work hard. Be nice’.”

Going nearly 10 years without a playoff appearance, Friday’s game is something for the entire Redhawk community to enjoy according to head cheer coach, and student council sponsor Kandy Stevens. 

“It’s human nature to celebrate when you’re winning,” Stevens said. “Cheerleaders carry that energy through, and they in they’re also being, to feed off the energy that the the stands have from the students showing up from the parents and all that, and it’s easy to keep people’s spirits up when they are winning. I think right now, with the pandemic and a lot of things not being the way they are, it’s just everybody’s looking for something to celebrate and this is just an amazing opportunity for them too.”