ISM students cross milestone with semester long project

Karene Goff

Independent Study Mentorship students have a big milestone on Friday as they turn in their original work which showcases the knowledge they gained throughout the first semester research in their field of study.

Ananda Ghoshal, Staff Reporter

“The project allows the student to utilize higher level of thinking skills, produce work relevant to their field of study, and to practice creativity,” ISM teacher Kelli Secord said. “They get to experience the pride of developing an original, unique piece of work that is completely their own.”

The independent learning process of the project helped students such as senior Ellie Dennen learn more about their field of study and how to create a unique project.

“I think that working on the original work has been really insightful,” Dennen said. “I have learned way more about my topic by researching and talking to professionals and creating this project, than just reading about it.”

Senior Neekie Ansari says that even if the project had its own challenges it presented, it overall ties directly into the students’ field of study.

“Even if I did have some stressful days with my topic and my project, I’m glad I chose the topic I did because I was able to really choose which part of my study I was passionate enough about to research, ask professionals about, and to create an entire original work on,” Ansari said.

The original work project marks the closing of the first semester as the students will then progress further in their chosen topic.

“Most ISM students have reached the point in their journey where they are ready to ask a professional in their field of study to serve as their mentor,” Secord said. “In the spring semester, with the help of their mentor, students will continue their research and focus on developing a final product that is related to their topic.”