Vertical Art Show displays student artists virtually

Shreyas Viswanathan, Staff Reporter

• This piece is a part of art teacher Pernie Fallon’s class. It and many others can be viewed online at the district website.

• Also a part of Fallon’s class, this intergalactic piece is featured in the show.

• A still life of everyday items with a colorful background, this piece is featured in the virtual show and a part of art teacher Jeb Matulich’s class.

• In this week’s edition of Artistic Expressions, Wingspan sits down with junior Fajar Shujaat as they discuss their passion for art.

Transitioning to a virtual format, Frisco ISD is hosting an art exhibition showcasing the artwork of Liberty and Lebanon Trail as well as their feeder schools through Dec. 17. 

“It has always been fun for the students to bring their friends and families to the show,” Fallon said. “It is usually very crowded and packed with people looking at the artwork. While the excitement won’t be in the air at the Administration Building, hopefully, the excitement will be shared with even more people because of the virtual platform. I was able to put the ‘best of the best’ in the show because I do not have to worry about the artwork being damaged. In previous years, I have not been able to show some of the best work because my students could not afford to have it damaged by crowds if they were submitting that particular piece for their College Board portfolios.”

Although the opportunity to meet students’ families isn’t available this year, art teacher Fred Rodriguez is grateful for the quality art his student’s have produced.

“Normally I get to meet the family of all the kids involved and even elementary or middle school students that will eventually go to liberty,” he said. This year I will not get that chance. We can always improve but ultimately I’m proud of the work my students have done and many have done these as virtual students. I grateful to still be getting high-quality art even though class looks different now.”

Art has always been a matter of pride for junior and AP art drawing student Gauri Pala, and it’s why she chose to take in-person classes with one of her works getting selected for the exhibition.

“My parents put me in art private lessons when I was in elementary since they realized that I always loved drawing and doing crafts, and after about one or two years of those lessons, I started to take art more seriously,” Pala said. “I am actually doing it in person, so art isn’t much different this year. However, I know that virtual kids can’t work on the same projects as us due to the fact that they don’t have the right materials. In fact, one of the main reasons I took in person this year was because of art. One of my pieces got selected this year (my double image portrait). I started working on it in September and finished it in about a week or so. It was an assignment for our class where we had to do a similar piece to that of the artist, Dryden Goodwin, so I guess that was my inspiration.”

The 2020-21 Frisco ISD Vertical eGallery Art Show Calendar.