Students are left with mixed opinions about changes to the learning environment

Emily Vetvick

Students are taking off on Friday to Spring Break, which will last from March 13-17. The 3rd quarter will also end on March 13.

Erika Pernis, Staff Reporter

When the new semester starts after winter break, students’ decisions on their learning environment, if they chose to make changes, will come into effect.

For sophomore Akanksha Mehta, her decision to transfer back to virtual school was not due to the COVID-19 protocols.

“I changed my mind about coming back to school because I liked the flexibility of being able to learn virtually,” Mehta said. “Getting things done in my own time.” 

Although Mehta thought the protocols were helpful, she did have some concerns.

“I think the protocols put in place we’re definitely helpful in slowing the spread of COVID,” Mehta said. “However, I wish they had been more enforced. I think they should have been more strict about wearing your mask correctly and over your nose as well as social distancing in like hallways and classrooms”

Freshman Anushka Dwivedi felt safe enough to switch from the virtual academy to in-person classes, however, she still sees some flaws with the enforcement of COVID procedures.

“I chose to come back to school because at time cases were going down and I felt like since some of my friends have been at school all year, it was safe,” Dwivedi said. “It’s good that masks are required, but I think the actual social distancing and not standing in large groups for a long period of time should be enforced more strictly.”

Dwivedi thinks in-person classes offer the social-interaction that the virtual academy lacks.

“Since we’re staring at a screen all day it can get kind of boring and also I have teachers and classmates that go to different schools and it’s hard to really build friendships through a Zoom call,” Dwivedi said. “So I’m really looking forward to seeing people.” 

Having already been in the virtual academy for the first nine-weeks, the actual transition between learning environments hasn’t proven to be too difficult for Mehta.

“The transition between learning environments is smooth for the most part, but it can be stressful to get caught up with the new schedule,” Mehta said. “With the virtual academy, there are classes across campuses, so what we are learning does not always line up, which can be hard.”