ASVAB makes debut on campus

The Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery registration is open. The window to register is open to Nov. 18, and the test is on Dec. 1.

Czaria Jones

Shreyas Viswanathan, Staff Reporter

The registration window for the Jan. 13 Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery closes on Wednesday for any sophomores and juniors that may be interested in a career in the military. 

“The ASVAB provides valuable information but doesn’t require military commitment,” counselor Ryan Kiefer said via email. The military sets up the age requirements for the ASVAB, but seniors can take and do take the ASVAB frequently.”

ASVAB results are reported to students and counselors on the ASVAB Summary Results sheet. Although student results will not be shared with local recruiters, students may share their results with armed service recruiters if they decide to go ahead with pursuing a career in the military.

“ASVAB is a military test and has no effect on college entrance,” Kiefer said. “There are minimum scores based more on a military occupation. I’m not sure how long they’re[scores] valid, so you’d have to ask a recruiter.”

Below are the skills the ASVAB tests:

• General Science (GS) – 15 questions in 8 minutes
  • Arithmetic Reasoning (AR) – 15 questions in 39 minutes
  • Word Knowledge (WK) – 15 questions in 8 minutes
  • Paragraph Comprehension (PC) – 10 questions in 22 minutes
  • Mathematics Knowledge (MK) – 15 questions in 20 minutes
  • Electronics Information (EI) – 15 questions in 8 minutes
  • Automotive and Shop Information (AS) – 10 questions in 7 minutes
  • Mechanical Comprehension (MC) – 15 questions in 20 minutes
  • Assembling Objects (AO) – 15 questions in 40 minutes
  • Verbal Expression (VE)= (WK)+(PC)