Two Redhawks advance to Regionals

The Redhawks look to dive deep in a 6A competition over the weekend. The team usually competes against other 5A schools. However, Saturdays meet will put the athlete’s skills to the test.

Harley Classe, Assistant Sports Editor

Two swimmers advanced to the regional meet after finishing 1st in their events at the District 9-5A meet Friday at the Bruce Eubanks Natatorium, with the girls’ team taking 6th place and the boys’ team taking 7th place.

placSenior Mallory Showalter finished 1st in the 100 Back, with sophomore Maria Oushalkas also finishing atop of the podim in the 200 Free.

“I think we did great as a whole,” Oushalkas said via text. “The energy was great and we all pulled our weight.”

After a long season with fewer teammates than usual, sophomore Henry Nguyen feels his team competed to the best of their abilities.

“I feel like the team did well for the amount of people that we have,” Nguyen said via text.

For coach Nicholas Dion, this meet was a success and he is proud of his team.

“I think our team’s strength is our mental approach to racing,” Dion said. “Our kids never seem intimidated by their opponent or what event they are in.”