The beauty of writing

Guest+Contributor+Faith+Brocke+discusses+her+opinions+on+the+beauty+of+writing.+

Megan Ward

Guest Contributor Faith Brocke discusses her opinions on the beauty of writing.

Faith Exsposito Brocke, Guest Contributor

When it comes to school, students are forced to write several essays and pieces in different styles, such as persuasive texts, research reports, personal narratives, and so on. At times it may seem completely useless (I mean, who cares about what basic life lesson scraping my knee at the age of five taught me? I know I don’t, and it happened to me) but it’s actually quite helpful.

OK, maybe the history of Equatorial Guinea isn’t your cup of tea! That’s perfectly okay, because there are thousands of topics and types of writing. From rhymeless, realistic, raw poems to lengthy lyricaly sonnets, the language arts curriculum is brimming with prompts and ideas for anything your heart desires.

Performance Based Assessments aren’t the most fun thing in the world, but being able to appreciate an author’s writing and relating it to a strong statement or lesson in order to base a project off of it is sort of beautiful. 

And it can be fun to learn new things (even if it was forcibly due to the fear of failing English) such as rare or random facts that are fun to spring on unknowing strangers or uncaring company. For example, did you know that centipedes are predatory arthropods belonging to the class Chilopoda of the subphylum Myriapoda, an arthropod group which also includes millipedes and other multi-legged creatures? See? That just gave me a buzz, I’m pretty sure serotonin is flowing through my brain as we speak.

It can also be helpful if you choose to pursue a career in writing. Professors, journalists, and world renowned authors have all benefited from sitting down for ninety minutes and writing about their latest read or something they’ve taken interest in lately. Without school’s restrictive policies and lack of room for leeway in the lesson plans, children can grow up to become the next Rick Riordan.

It may be hard to understand now, but the wide variety of practice we are provided with helps us weave stories out of nothing but our imaginations.