Featured Athlete: Maria Oushalkas

Grade: 10 | Sport: Swim

Remi Williams, Sports Editor

Wingspan: How do you prepare for a meet?

Oushalkas: “I tend to work specifically on whatever events I’m going to do. I typically specialize in freestyle and butterfly events but I also swim all other events too.”

Wingspan: Do you have any superstitions? 

Oushalkas: “This is both a tradition and superstition but, I believe it’s bad luck to shower during the duration of a meet. Normally meets go on for 1-3 days and during that time I don’t shower. I just rinse off.”

Wingspan: When did you start swimming? 

Oushalkas: “This year will mark my decade-long experience with swimming.”

Wingspan: How has swimming affected your life? 

Oushalkas: “Swimming has become the second biggest aspect to my life; first being school. I swim 4 hours a day, 6 days a week, all year long, so I’m always swimming which can be challenging since I obviously want to experience a normal high school life.”

Wingspan: What pushes/motivates you to do your best? 

Oushalkas: “I have many who look up to me and many who doubt me. I want to be an example for the younger kids who might not think they can do it, when in reality they can do whatever as long as they work hard and for those who doubt me want to see me fail and I refuse to let that happen”.

Wingspan: What do you do the night before a meet?

Oushalkas: “I make sure to eat a full meal and get at least 7 hours of sleep.”

Wingspan: Who inspires you to swim? 

Oushalkas: “My coach from my club team and my teammates inspire me. Most of my team is older than me so I always have someone to look up to.”

Wingspan: What style of swim do you like the best and why?

Oushalkas: “I specialize in butterfly and freestyle. I’m built like a butterfly and my endurance is strong so it’s meant for me.”

Wingspan: What is one thing people think about swimming that isn’t actually true?

Oushalkas: “I could go on and on about this question, but the most common one is obviously “swimming is easy”. Swimming is a full body, cardio, endurance, strength, and aerobic sport all at once. We use every muscle in every way possible and we do it while barely breathing. Unlike most sports who have breaks or half-times during practice, we get seconds or minutes of rest. We wake up earlier than most and stay up later than most just to get in a workout that might make us drop milliseconds which could cost us a chance at going from last to first.”

Wingspan: Do you plan to swim after high school?Oushalkas:  “I do want to have the option of swimming in college, yes. I plan on swimming for a D1 NCAA school such as Texas A&M or Purdue University while I get a bachelor’s in mechanical engineering.