More on the line as Redhawks face district foe in playoffs

Michael Martin

Seeking out a win heading into break, the girls’ basketball team plays in the Allen Hoopfest Tournament. They are playing in the gold bracket Thursday through Saturday at Allen High School.

Harley Classe, Assistant Sports Editor

The Redhawks are looking to shoot and score in round three of playoffs with the girls’ basketball team taking on District 9-5A rival Memorial High School Wednesday at 6:30 p.m. at Prosper Rock Hill.

Wednesday’s game will be the third time the Redhawks and Warriors have faced off this season, with each team winning once, and the first two games decided by a total of four points. 

“In the upcoming round we are playing a team we know very well and are looking to play loose and poised because we know what we have to do to beat this team,” senior Kayla Pernis said via text.

The team’s are entering the game have endured an unexpectedly long break from Feb. 11 to Feb. 20 due to winter weather putting the area in a deep freeze.

However, it didn’t take long for the athletes to get back into the swing of things beating Carrollton Newman Smith 67-23 on Saturday. 

“Our practices this week off have been very focused and intentional,” Pernis said. “We make the most out of the time we get to practice together.”

For junior Jazzy Owens-Barnett, this has been more than just another season seeing as she has been given the opportunity to compete in multiple playoff games.

“Being on varsity multiple years has been a blessing,” Owens-Barnett said via text. “I’m surrounded by the best of the best. Especially the seniors each year.”