Inspired by Japanese prints, history and style guides art project

Wikimedia Commons

One of the most famous Japanese prints from the 1800s is The Great Wave off Kanagawa by Katsushika Hokusai. Inspired by paintings and prints such as Hokusai’s, PreAP Art II students are working on a mixed media piece as they learn about Asian styles and skills, and the history behind them. “I wanted my students to have a basic understanding of Japanese prints and painting techniques that influenced the Impressionist painters in the late 1800s,” teacher Pernie Fallon said.

An appreciation of Asian culture is part of a current mixed media project PreAP Art II students are working on as they learn about Japanese styles and skills, and the history behind them. 

“I wanted my students to have a basic understanding of Japanese prints and painting techniques that influenced the Impressionist painters in the late 1800s,” teacher Pernie Fallon said. “I hope if nothing else, that this project brings my students a greater awareness of the beauty of Asian culture.”

Since the pandemic began, Asian American hate crimes have increased, and junior Natalia Montemayor is mindful of the issue during the painting process.

“It seems more important now because we’re taking time to appreciate Asian art and Asian culture, especially with the hate that has been going on,” Montemayor said. “We can show appreciation by understanding the difficulty and the process one has to go through to complete the piece.”

The Japanese-inspired project has been able to shine a light on ancient styles in Asian culture and expand students’ knowledge on the subject.  

“As of recently there has been a rise in Asian hate crimes and this project can portray the respect and support of Asian culture,” junior Kathy Vuong said. “Asian people have been experiencing xenophobia and now due to the rise in attacks against them, there has been a great deal of fear instilled when friends and family go out.”