Picnic replaces convention for All-State orchestra students

Maddie Aronson

With this year’s TMEA All-State Convention cancelled, a socially distanced picnic is planned Monday at 7 p.m. for the orchestra students that made All-State. “I’m excited that we all get to be together and see each other in person! It’s been so isolating this year, so when we get a chance to talk and hang out safely, I look forward to it,” junior Julia Johnson said. “Ms. Blackstock and Ms. Lien are extremely considerate and thoughtful to help put this together for everyone.”

Urja Joshi, Guest Contributor

The 2021 TMEA All-State Convention was cancelled, so in the effort to make up for it, the orchestra director Julie Blackstock planned a picnic outside the orchestra doors Monday at 7 p.m. for the students that made the All-State Orchestra

“We had talked about doing a virtual ‘All-State Dinner’ at some point. However, since all of the All-State students were coming up for the concert anyhow, I asked them if they would be coming up to school to pick up their food and having a socially-distanced picnic outside instead,” Blackstock said via email. “That way we could actually spend time together for real. Socially-distanced, of course. I thought that would be fun. They can bring chairs and blankets.”

The All-State orchestra students are excited about this picnic for different reasons.

“I’m excited that we all get to be together and see each other in person! It’s been so isolating this year, so when we get a chance to talk and hang out safely, I look forward to it,” junior Julia Johnson said. “Ms. Blackstock and Ms. Lien are extremely considerate and thoughtful to help put this together for everyone!” 

Although the students appreciate the dinner plan, it is not the same as having the actual convention according to sophomore Jayna Yoon. 

“I’m excited to see everyone and catch up since it’s been so long,” Yoon said. “I wish that we could have had a normal state experience because you get to meet and become closer with people, but in light of the pandemic, it’s really nice to have this alternative.”