Scrimmage sets stage for season

Emily Vetvick

The Redhawks bring home a 21-7 win in a football scrimmage against Royse City on Friday. The team looks to continue improving as they begin practice for their district season.

Harley Classe, Sports Editor

The Redhawks football team soared above Royse City High School on Friday 21-7 in a scrimmage at The Nest.

The game started off rocky but the team pulled it together in the second half which gave junior Will Jackson a chance to see what improvements needed to be made.

“This was a really good chance to see how we rank up against an opponent and assess what all we need to work on in practice,” Jackson said. “We started off pretty bad but we ended up shutting them down pretty quickly.”

Following the scrimmage, head football coach Matt Swinnea took a look into the upcoming season and what all it has to offer for his team in regards to making playoffs again.

“I think in a lot of ways it really may come down to the last game of the year at Lovejoy,” Swinnea said. “They are the defending champs and likewise we are a top ten team so I think everybody has kind of picked them as the team to beat.”