Rhea of sunshine: college courses

Morgan Kong

In this weekly column, Wingspan staff reporter Rhea Advani provides her take on a variety of topics.

Rhea Advani, Staff Reporter

This week marks the first week that Collin college classes start. Counselors have been sending out emails every so often to help the students keep up and be prepared for classes to begin.

If you’ve been keeping up, then you probably attended the orientation that took place during advisory on Thursday. But, if you’re like me, you completely forgot about it, and didn’t attend. It’s okay though. Everything that was said in the orientation was sent out in an email to all dual credit students on Friday, so you can catch up via email. 

Anyways, now that we’ve got caught up, let’s talk about the fact that our school district allows high school students to take college classes.

Although this is old news to most students, there was a time when this type of thing wasn’t allowed. You were to graduate high school and then enroll in college. Now, many sophomores, juniors, and seniors are being enrolled in college way earlier. For example, I took my Texas Success Initiative exam when I was a freshman and started taking classes at Collin at age 14, which was the beginning of my sophomore year.

Being able to take college classes while still being in high school is really cool and we should take full advantage of such things. People who are struggling financially or just want to get ahead in general should definitely inquire about being in dual credit.

However, it is more work and it can get confusing at times with combining two different schedules and having two different Canvas accounts. But everyone who isn’t a freshman should check this program out.