Last second score leads Redhawks to win

Harley Classe, Sports Editor

• Captains for both the Redhawks and Reedy Lions stand at the 50-yard lion with the referee for the opening coin toss at Kuykendall Stadium on Aug. 26.

• The Redhawks take field at Kuykendall Stadium for their season opening game against Reedy. The team would jump out to an early lead only to see Reedy storm back. However, the Redhawks would score the winning 2-point conversion with just seconds left to win 50-49.

• Breaking through the Reedy defense, quarterback Keldric Luster rushed for three touchdowns in the Redhawks season opening win. Leading for most of the game, the Redhawks found themselves down 49-42 before they scored a touchdown and 2-point conversion with :08 left in the game to win 50-49.

• With no defenders in sight, running back Jack Bryan goes untouched into the endzone for a 71-yard touchdown reception. Bryan finished with 39 yards rushing and 71 yards receiving in the Redhawks 50-49 win over Reedy.

The Redhawks brought home a close 50-49 win Thursday in their first football game of the season against the Reedy Lions at Kuykendall Stadium. Last year the Lions caged the Redhawks 35-27, but this season that theme did not prevail.

The Redhawks led 21-7 at halftime, however the Lions would mount a furious comeback and tie at 42, before taking a 49-42 lead with just minutes left in the fourth quarter. However, the Redhawks would drive the length of the field for a touchdown to make it 49-48. From there, junior quarterback Keldric Luster bulldozed into the endzone for the 2-point conversion with :08 left of the clock, leading the Redhawks to a 50-49 win. 

“Reedy was the team to beat this year,” sophomore Will Jackson said. “They beat us last year in a tough game so going out there and beating them is something that is really going to motivate us as a team.”

A little motivation and hard work is just the thing senior Cade McGarrh believes will push his team a little harder this season.

I don’t think people really do see the work we put in,” McGarrh said. “We are up here from 5 to 9 most afternoons putting in the work in the weight room, on the field, and in the classroom learning about different types of plays and what we can do better and I think that goes unseen but at the same time it’s still a big part of football that not many people recognize.”