Shreya Jagan

This is new teacher Kristen Tatum, and she is a first-year teacher teaching Advanced Geometry and AP Statistics.

Kristen Tatum

September 1, 2021

After graduating from Baylor University with a degree in Math, Kristen Tatum is the newest staff member in the math department. She is a first year teacher teaching Advanced Geometry and AP Statistics across all grade levels. Wingspan sat down with Tatum to learn more about her.

Wingspan: What made you want to become a math teacher?

Tatum: “I think it is really important to invest in students. I want to help students build their character and be able to accomplish what they want in their lives. I really like encouraging people, so that’s why I wanted to become a teacher. And then math specifically because I really like math. I think it is interesting and underrated, especially statistics, that’s my favorite subject. It’s very creative and applicable to the real world, which we have definitely seen this year as we have seen so many statistics with the coronavirus happening, and talking about the studies behind the vaccine. All those things are really statistics related, so it’s very applicable.”

Pullquote Photo

I want to help students build their character and be able to accomplish what they want in their lives,

— math teacher Kristen Tatum

Wingspan: What is the most rewarding part of teaching?

Tatum: “I think relationships that I build with my students. I really like it when they are successful in my class. I like seeing their sports events and getting to cheer them on.”

Wingspan: Why did you want to teach at Frisco ISD ?

Tatum: “I’ve heard that Frisco has a great reputation. I am also from the Forth Worth area and so I wanted to come back up and teach around the DFW area somewhere.”

Wingspan:  What is your biggest pet peeve as a teacher?

Tatum: “I have to say cell phones. Cell phones are. I have the students put them in buckets and caddies and then I give them back at the end of the day.”

Wingspan: What is your favorite thing about our campus?

Tatum: “I love the people here. Everybody is very friendly. I love saying good morning to people when I walk down the hallway, and I’m really enjoying getting to know the staff and the students.”

Realize it is okay to give yourself time to grow and just have some grace for yourself and not beat up yourself about,

— Tatum

Wingspan: What do you like to do for fun?

Tatum: “That’s an easy question. I like to bake, especially cookies. I love to garden, go for walks, and read books. Those are my top ones.”

Wingspan: What is a word of advice you would give your students?

Tatum: “I would say have patience with yourself. There is a lot going on in high school and a lot of challenging classes and after school activities and maybe even work. So, somewhere in there, in one of your spaces in life, you will make mistakes and you are gonna have to give yourself patience. Realize it is okay to give yourself time to grow and just have some grace for yourself and not beat up yourself about it but just have that growth mindset of ‘Hey, it’s okay. I’ve seen what just happened and I’ll do it differently next time. It’s okay.’”