For the first time in 10 years, football starts 2-0

For the first time in 10 years, football stands at 2-0 at the start of their season. The team won a scrimmage against Royse City followed by two wins against Reedy and Greenville.

Harley Classe, Sports Editor

Kicking off the season with its second straight win, the football team defeated Greenville High School 55-21 on Friday.

Although the Redhawks pulled away in the 2nd half, the game was close in the 1st half as Greenville matched touchdowns leaving it tied at 7. However, the Redhawk’s defense slowly stepped up and helped the team build a big lead.

“I really think we were just motivated because we knew that we were going to come out just that much stronger after winning our first game,” safety, junior Will Jackson said. “Once we were tied, it was just really that shock factor of oh we can actually do this that pushed us over the edge.”

With a senior-heavy team, the team has been a work in progress the last three years according to head coach Matt Swinnea.

“This season, we have a bunch of ‘open spots’ per say because we have so many seniors that no one has really stepped up to impress us more than anyone else has,” Swinnea said. “I think that this year has brought some natural momentum because three years ago we were very sophomore heavy and each year the athletes have pushed harder and harder which has brought us to where we are today.”