Care Wiki hosts Hurricane Ida donation drive

Hurricane Ida hit Louisiana recently leaving many Redhawk students and staff to be worried. As a result, an organization on campus stepped up to help with the damage done.

Lisa Salmon

Alyssa Murphy, WTV Executive Producer

Hurricane Ida became the second most damaging hurricane to make landfall in Louisiana when it dissipated on September 4. The estimated cost of damages is 50.1 billion dollars and the effects go beyond the borders of Louisiana. To make an impact, one student on campus organized a donation drive to help aid communities who were devastated by Hurricane Ida.

“So after this crisis, Care Wiki officers discussed what we can do to help those affected by Hurricane Ida, and help alleviate the suffering that they are going through because one of the main aims is to ensure the wellbeing of the community, and also to help them,” senior Stephanie Chung said. “So we decided to do a donation drive, encouraging Redhawks to donate items, such as hygiene products, cleaning products, and also school supplies.”

Boxes for donations will be in the rotunda through Wednesday and there is a list of items that students can donate. Chung encourages students to take action by donating items.

“We really encourage students to join the movement and to be part of this donation drive to help our neighboring communities in need, and also do the best that we can to help them,” Chung said.