High school #12 leads to rezoning

As+enrollment+continues+to+increase+in+Frisco+ISD%2C+the+district+is+looking+to+make+some+zoning+changes+to+accommodate+high+school+number+12%2C+Panther+Creek.+

Maddie Owens

As enrollment continues to increase in Frisco ISD, the district is looking to make some zoning changes to accommodate high school number 12, Panther Creek.

Allyson Lastovica, Staff Reporter

Another year brings another round of rezoning as Frisco ISD gets ready to open high school number 12, Panther Creek High School in Aug. 2022. The district has added more than 2,400 students since this time in 2020, bringing the district’s total enrollment to more than 65,000 students. 

“Most school districts in Texas have seen enrollment declines during the pandemic,” FISD Assistant Communications Director Meghan Cone said in a Star Local Media online article. “Frisco ISD is one of only a few bucking that trend.” 

This year’s kindergarten class is the largest in Frisco ISD history according to the district’s website, with more than 4,000 kindergartners enrolled. The class of 2025, this year’s freshman class, is the largest in the district with more than 5,600 students.

However, the district expects the possibility of even more growth in the near future. 

“While we have seen considerable growth overall over the past year, we believe the pandemic has likely continued to impact enrollment,” Cone said in a Star Local Media online article. “The district expects a significant number of students to enroll or reenroll as COVID-19 concerns subside.”

The opening of Panther Creek High School will help reduce the enrollments of Reedy, Lone Star, Memorial, and Wakeland high schools but that means there will be attendance rezoning.

The proposed attendance boundary zones will be introduced to the public and the school board on Oct. 12, which will be followed by a public input meeting on Oct. 25, and the Panther Creek High School attendance zones will be finalized at the Nov. 8 school board meeting. 

More information can be found on the FISD website.