Veterinary Medical Applications class fosters kittens

CTE+Veterinary+Medical+Applications+teacher+Shannon+Sullivan+has+fostered+five+kittens+in+order+to+give+students+hands-on+experience+of+being+a+vet+assistant.+%E2%80%9CIt%E2%80%99s+great+to+have+an+experience+of+what+its+like+to+be+kind+of+like+a+vet+tech%2C+basically%2C%E2%80%9D+vet+med+student%2C+junior+Zoe+Milian+said.+

Kiara Hinz

CTE Veterinary Medical Applications teacher Shannon Sullivan has fostered five kittens in order to give students hands-on experience of being a vet assistant. “It’s great to have an experience of what it’s like to be kind of like a vet tech, basically,” vet med student, junior Zoe Milian said.

Kiara Hinz, Guest Contributor

Quiet meows and soft purrs are filling the CTE’s Veterinary Medical Applications class of Shannon Sullivan who is fostering five kittens to help teach students the basics of being a vet assistant. 

“I have community partnerships with the Colony Animal Shelter and private individuals,” Sulivan said. “I foster kittens each year to give students the opportunity to learn to restrain cats properly, watch the growth process, clean kennels, clean litter boxes, [and] give them a chance to have an experience with live animals in the lab.”

The newly fostered kittens at the CTE Center, although small, have already had a big impact on the learning of the students. 

“It’s great to have an experience of what it’s like to be kind of like a vet tech, basically,” vet med student, junior Zoe Milian said. “It’s a very good learning experience”

The students have been excited to work with live animals and gain hands-on experience.

“I am very excited about the whole hands-on aspect,” Milian said. “And the other half, being just you know, learning in general about the different diseases and parts of animals and all that.” 

Students such as juniors Sydney Patrick are eager to learn about the necessary skills for the job.

“I hope to learn how to give injections properly,” Patrick said. “And learn the different amounts of medicine and kinds of medicine.”

Working with the kittens provides students with exposure to a career possibility at an early stage of their career pathway. 

“I hope to take away that I can understand what a normal typical day is like when you are a Vet Tech,” Milian said.