Back on winning track, football scorches Trail Blazers

Tai Tran

The Redhawks shook up their 43-7 loss to Frisco High School with a 56-7 win over Lebanon Trail Friday at the Ford Center. The team goes into its bye week looking to prepare for their final three games of the district season.

Harley Classe, Sports Editor

Coming off a 43-7 loss against the Frisco Racoons that tarnished the Redhawks undefeated record (6-1), the team saw a reversal of fortunes on Friday as they beat Lebanon Trail High School 56-7 win in a District 7-5A contest.

“We knew coming into the season that there would be a lot of parity,” head coach Matt Swinnea said. “We talk all of the time about getting better each week and it’s a marathon, not a sprint.”

But on Friday night, the Redhawks burst out of the gate, scoring 35 points in the 1st quarter, with junior quarterback Keldric Luster throwing for five touchdowns on the night, and senior Jack Bryan scoring two touchdowns.

The team now has a week off following the Lebanon Trail game, giving the athletes time to recover and prepare for their final three regular season games.

“A lot of the football teams look really good this year, especially 5A Division 1 and 5A Division 2,” senior Chika Ugoh said. “We definitely have a shot at making playoffs if we keep working hard and sticking with it.”

Having just three games left, Swinnea isn’t going to let the Redhawks take anything for granted. 

“Every team you are going to play each week is gunning for you and with that, the level of competition and competitiveness increases,” Swinnea said. “If you look at the history, Frisco schools have made long runs in the playoffs. That being said, the way we prepare each week will give us that opportunity to win.”