Cheerleaders learn to juggle

The Redhawk Cheer team makes preparation for their UIL state competition. Last year the took home 16th place out of the 64 teams that competed.

Addyson Schick, Staff Reporter

There is still one football game left in the season, but the cheer team has their hands full while also juggling  preparation for their UIL state competition.

“We have hired our choreographer,” varsity cheer coach Kandy Stevens said. “We are utilizing class time to learn that material and that’s what we will be working on up until the day we go.” 

Taking place in Fort Worth, the event isn’t until January, but varsity captain Dristyn Deans believes that this year’s selection of the UIL team will lead to success. 

“I think that our incoming freshmen this year are really good and adding a lot to our team,” Deans said. “I think that will help us this year and hopefully, we can get more unique choreography as well this year to make us do better. But I think overall hopefully we’ll be top 10.”

Every year a choreographer from Cheer Express is brought in to help the cheer team, and this year it’s Chris Henson, the owner of Cheer Express Gym Frisco

“We have a new upbeat Band Chant and we are utilizing a top 40 song that the crowd will recognize,” Henson said.  “The cheer has more parts and harder skills.” “My favorite part of the routine is the use of different props, like poms, signs, flags & megaphones.” “The overall work ethic of the team will be our strength,” said Henson.