Rhea of Sunshine: the necessity of relaxation

Morgan Kong

In this weekly column, Wingspan staff reporter Rhea Advani provides her take on a variety of topics.

Rhea Advani, Staff Reporter

In my English class, I’m currently working on an essay, and some of the topics really interested me, and made me want to research more about it. 

My prompt was, “Do you think homework is helpful or should it be banned from schools?” Obviously, I chose that it should be banned because of several different reasons. But one of the reasons I chose to write about, I didn’t have much knowledge of before researching. 

I said that students need downtime after school to relax.

And I completely agree with this statement, because pretty much everyday before I get started on my homework, I have to come home and have at least two hours to relax and not be productive. So technically, I made this reason due to personal experience. 

But after extensive research, I learned that in order to perform better in school, or just in life in general, your brain MUST have downtime. Just like any other muscle in your body, the brain grows when it’s resting and not being put in use.    

So here’s your sign to take a break, and relax ever so often. No one makes it out alive anyways.