With mixed results on Friday, the Redhawks are ready for Trail Blazers

The+soccer+teams+hit+the+field+again+for+tournaments+Thursday+through+Saturday.+District+play+is+set+to+begin+in+a+week%2C+so+the+teams+are+getting+their+final+preparation+with+these+tournaments.+

Troy Williams

The soccer teams hit the field again for tournaments Thursday through Saturday. District play is set to begin in a week, so the teams are getting their final preparation with these tournaments.

Haley Ward, Sports Reporter

The Redhawks took on the Independence Knights Friday night in District 9-5A soccer games.

Traveling to Independence High School, the boys’ team challenged the Knights and soared over them 3-1.

“We played well and got off to an early lead,” senior Ashton Schramek said. “Nothing really happened in the second half, but the defense played well. We scored more goals than they did so you know, just kick and play.”

The girls’ team hosted the Knights and fell short, losing 0-1.

“We did okay, the first half wasn’t that good,” freshman Isabella Marroquin said. “We’re just kind of getting into it. I think we might have underestimated them a little bit because they had an easy win and a tie. So we might have just gone into it not focused.”

Coming off the win against the Independence Knights Friday, the boys’ soccer team is hoping to earn another win when they travel to Lebanon Trail Tuesday at 7:30 p.m in a District 9-5A matchup. 

“Lebanon has a few early losses, and I think we should be able to beat him as we have in the past,” senior Ashton Schramek said. “We’ve never lost to them since I’ve been here, so I think we should be alright.”

After the loss on Friday, the girls’ team is ready to come back when they host the Trail Blazers Tuesday at The Nest at 5:30 p.m. in a District 9-5A soccer game. 

“We’re working on improving the midfield,” freshman Isabella Marroquin said. “We just haven’t been connected in the midfield, and we don’t really talk a lot in there. So we’re trying to build in the middle. I don’t really know anything about their team, but I’m hoping we can do good.”