Rhea of Sunshine: hybrid learning initiative falls short

Morgan Kong

In this weekly column, Wingspan staff reporter Rhea Advani provides her take on a variety of topics.

Rhea Advani, Staff Reporter

You may or may not have heard, but the 2022-2023 school year is looking to give students an opportunity to have a hybrid learning experience. This means that learning will take place online through a screen and extracurricular activities such as sports, band, etc., will take place on campus.

Though some might think that this idea will help students better learn material for academics, I think that this format will allow students to (for lack of better words) become lazy.

Because of COVID, we had to quarantine for a long time, and it lowered our stamina in many day to day things that we take part in. Especially because Omicron variant cases are lowering now, everyone should be on campus next school year.

Obviously COVID won’t completely disappear, and that’s where Frisco ISD’s 10-day quarantine rule comes into play. But it makes no sense for students’ core learning to take place through a screen again

By being in class, students’ attention span is a bit higher compared to when they’re at home and learning online. Another main thing to keep in mind is college preparation. When we get into college and have to pay attention to a two hour lecture and take notes, student’s aren’t going to be prepared to do so because they’re so used to their learning environment being at home, online. 

I see where FISD board members are coming from by offering a hybrid option for student’s next year, however I think everyone should strictly be on campus on a day to day basis. Not only for extracurriculars, but also their academics.