The brother half takes on esports

provided by Chris Ham

A four month long project, students in the Video Game Programing class at the CTE Center are working on creating their own video games in groups. After the games are created, students will also create a website to present their games to clients.

They started playing video games in 2016 as a way to pass time together, starting with Overwatch but moving to Valorant in 2020. Now the Naik Brothers, juniors Arjun and Rishi, compete together, as they play for the school’s eSports Club. 

“It feels nice being on the same team because I already feel comfortable with one person on the team and allows the whole team to be more organized,” Arjun said. “It makes communication easier because I feel more vocal when talking with Rishi but there are downsides when we sometimes argue over simple mistakes.”

It makes communication easier because I feel more vocal when talking with Rishi but there are downsides when we sometimes argue over simple mistakes,

— Junior Arjun Naik

Since they’ve been playing together for so long, Rishi finds that there is a sense of competition between them, but it’s to build each other up and get better at the game rather than to show off.

“I think I’m pretty competitive with him, but I do realize and acknowledge when he gets the better of me,” Rishi said. “I will say something to him if I think he did worse than what I think he’s able to do, something I probably wouldn’t do to anyone else.” 

Mother Arati Naik has watched Rishi and Arjun grow up and believe that they have kept that brotherly love throughout their years; helping them find balance and to seek outside activities.

“They were very good kids growing up, always doing the right thing both at home and in school, they have always gotten well together,” Arati said. “We have talked about the importance of balance throughout the years and they have been getting better at it with all their activities and to have other physical activities outside of video games.”

She has restricted their playing time in the past, but because of this new opportunity to represent their school, she hopes that they can find success from their hard work.

“I did worry about them playing too much and I would put restrictions on how much they played and at what times they could play but as they have grown up, they are able to balance how much they spend on video games on their own,” Arati said. “I am proud of them being on a competitive team representing the school, it’s great that they get to play what they like and be able to achieve something for them and the school.”

I am proud of them being on a competitive team representing the school, it’s great that they get to play what they like and be able to achieve something for them and the school,

— Mother Arati Naik

Valorant varsity coach, senior Jerry Bui, believes having these two siblings has given their team an extra strength.

“Them being siblings really helped the team evolve their teamwork because both brothers have been very vocal which has influenced their teammates to better communicate in practice and games,” Bui said. “Sometimes it can be disorganized because of differing opinions, but overall they have been essential in the team’s recent success.”