Rhea of Sunshine: PALS

Morgan Kong

In this weekly column, Wingspan staff reporter Rhea Advani provides her take on a variety of topics.

Rhea Advani, Staff Reporter

As someone who is planning to join PALS next year, I thought it would only be fitting to talk a bit about it and why I think it’s something that should be recognized.

First of all, PALS is a class, but not just anyone can take it. It is an application course that requires students to get together a number of things such as teacher recommendation letters and questionnaires, and then from there, students are able to apply. 

PALS can be summarized into learning the virtue and patience of special needs kids. It takes a lot of strength and determination for one to be in this class. It can get extremely difficult and tricky at times. But learning how to get around those difficult and tricky times is key. 

I think having such a class on campus that students can’t take is very smart and a good way to have high school students get a little exposure. It’s also good for the kids because they have someone who’s a bit older to hang out with and to do fun activities with. 

This type of thing to be involved in is good for character development and can sometimes put these into perspective for students.