Featured Athlete: Braden Cobb

Provided by Braden Cobb

Wingspan’s Featured Athlete for 2/3 is golfer, junior Braden Cobb.

Harley Classe, Sports Editor

Wingspan: When did you start playing golf?

Cobb: “I started playing golf when I was ten years old because my dad suggested it to me.”

Wingspan: Who is your biggest influence?

Cobb: “It would definitely be my dad. He’s my biggest motivator for playing every day.”

Wingspan: What is something that being in golf has taught you?

Cobb: “Never give up. Golf is a big mental game, so you might hit a few bad shots but you always have to finish the round.”

Wingspan: What’s your favorite thing about golf in general?

Cobb: “Just going out and spending a good portion of your day in nature, I guess.”

Wingspan: What’s your favorite part about the Liberty team specifically?

Cobb: “Being with a small group of guys, just because we have that connection with each other. Yes, we are a smaller team, but we have a closer bond because of it.”

Wingspan: What are your goals moving forward?

Cobb: “To do well in district, and to finish the year out strong, and see where we go from there.”

Wingspan: Describe your proudest moment since you started playing golf.

Cobb: “When I was ten, I played in the Texas Oklahoma Junior Golf Tournament. It was not a great day of golf. It was 30 mph wind, raining, just not a good day for golf. I was 210 yards out, and my dad says, ‘Just go ahead and hit it, you won’t make it to the green anyways.’ So I hit my ball, and I hit it pin high, and almost hit someone. They were pretty mad, but my dad and I were pretty surprised, so I was pretty proud.”

Wingspan: Do you plan to continue playing golf in the future past high school?

Cobb: “I’ll definitely play it as a recreational sport, I don’t know about college or professionally, but I’ll continue to play it because it’s something that you can play in any state of your life.”

Wingspan: So, your dad was the one who introduced you to golf. Do you think you’ll carry that on with your kids?

Cobb: “Most likely. I’ll play it. It teaches you a lot of things about life, and the mental aspect of it. It’s a good sport to keep you in decent shape at least.”