They’re loud, proud, and can cheer a crowd

Cheer tryouts begin Saturday

Tai Tran

Cheer tryouts kick off this Saturday. “The coaches expect us to have all the material completely learned and to come in with a good attitude,” freshman Connelly Braden said. “We have practice time during advisories where some of the girls meet up to practice the material together.”

Brianna Walsh, Guest Contributor

With tryouts coming up on Saturday, cheerleaders are getting ready to show off their skills for the 2022-2023 school year.

“We hold a three-day clinic in which candidates practice the tryout material and are instructed on the tryout procedures,” varsity cheer coach Kandy Stevens said. “Each cheerleader is evaluated on jumps, tumbling, spirit and execution of a cheer, chant & dance. There are 4 professional judges who evaluate each candidate.”

Freshman Connelly Braden is spending about an hour a day getting ready for the tryouts.“The coaches expect us to have all the material completely learned and to come in with a good attitude,” Braden said. “We have practice time during advisories where some of the girls meet up to practice the material together.”

Utilizing her own personal learning techniques, junior Malia Willingham didn’t waste time in learning the routines.

“As soon as I get the tryout material, I learn it immediately, that way I have time to fully memorize it,” Willingham said. “I take it one section at a time and go over and over it until it’s muscle memory.”

But no matter how much she practices, Willingham says making a cheer team is about more than how you perform. 

“The coaches expect a positive attitude and a good work ethic from every cheerleader that tryouts,” she said. “It’s not just about skill, your attitude could determine whether you make the team or not.”

Being nervous or anxious is to be expected, but Stevens encourages potential cheer members to avoid that. 

“Relax and enjoy the process,” Stevens says to incoming freshmen. “No one is perfect all the time and everyone makes mistakes.