Drone deliveries start in the DFW area

WFAA

Drone delivery company, Wing, has launched delivers in Frisco and Little Elm, allowing products to be directly shipped to your house via drone.

Aarya Oswal, Staff Reporter

Thoughts of the past are becoming a reality for those in Frisco and Little Elm as drone deliveries started Thursday.

Freshman Reeyana Rahman can’t believe how far technology has advanced to the point where drones are now delivering people food.

“I think that having drones deliver things to us is super cool and it’s crazy how advanced technology is becoming,” Rahman said. “I’ll be looking forward to having drones deliver me ice cream.”

This is the first big step for drone company Wing to be implemented in large metropolitan areas and junior Dev Sheth finds it amazing what’s become possible via technology.

“That’s pretty cool that they are ready to send all that stuff to my place,” Sheth said. “I wonder if they will mess up the address or will mess up in the middle of their flight. There could be a lot of stuff that could go wrong like a bird pooping on it or a truck hitting it I think, but it’s cool to see how far technology has come.”

But some students such as junior Melissa Clark see a potential downside to drone deliveries. 

“I think that the drone delivery while benefiting our time usage and convenience also cuts down on delivery jobs and furthers unemployment which could definitely be a downside,” Clark said.