Rhea of Sunshine: the practicality of late arrival

Morgan Kong

In this weekly column, Wingspan staff reporter Rhea Advani provides her take on a variety of topics.

Rhea Advani, Staff Reporter

Biology STAAR, U.S. History STAAR, and the AP Lit tests are Wednesday. Students have been prepping and getting ready for these rigorous and long standardized tests for the last few weeks and are ready to give it their all. The exams are supposed to be from about 9 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.

However, for students who aren’t taking any of these exams, they have late arrival and don’t have to come to campus until 12:45 p.m. For some students, this can be refreshing and they can get a head start on their day. 

But for others, this can be frustrating. Students who aren’t taking the exam and who have early release would basically be coming to campus only for one period and leaving. This makes no sense and the AP’s should give the students the day off for this. Most likely, teachers won’t be assigning anything crucial to students, seeing as the majority will have just come out of testing. 

Although I’m grateful that students who don’t have to take an exam don’t have to come to school until the end of advisory, I don’t think it should be mandatory for students to come to their third period class.