Frisco ISD updates COVID-19 protocols

Karina Grokhovskaya

Maya Silberman, Managing Editor

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention announced that they are moving away from restricted measures such as quarantines and social distancing. Two notable changes to the COVID guidelines include eliminating social distancing requirements of staying at least 6 feet away from others, and eliminating the need to quarantine if individuals have been exposed but not infected.

Within Frisco ISD, there have also been changes to the COVID protocols, one of which includes the number of days students must quarantine before returning to school.

“Last year, students and staff with COVID had to be out for 10 full days, which sometimes ended up looking more like 10-12 days, before they were allowed to return to school,” campus nurse Lindsey McDavid said. “This year, it’s five days.”

If a student or staff member tests positive, they will have to stay home for five full days from either when the symptoms first start or a positive test.

“If you get sick on Aug. 12, that’s day zero, and Aug. 13 would be day one,” McDavid said. “You’re then out for the five days, and can return on the sixth day.”

Similarly to last year, masks and face coverings are still optional for students on campus.

“If you feel comfortable with it and it makes you feel better, you can definitely still wear a mask,” McDavid said. “I would always wash your hands and really practice general hygiene, just like you would before COVID.”