Esports classes return with a new level

Video Game Programming students are working in groups to create their own video game.

Vaughn Perez

Vaughn Perez, Staff Reporter

The sequel has is here as esports classes are beginning to soar throughout the district with Esports 1 and Esports 2. Taught by teachers Demas Lamas and Eighmy Dobbins, these classes offer an exploration into the vast world that happens behind the scenes of playing a game.

Students focus on what makes esports operate and the biggest factors that affect the success of games and events. They will research the history that shaped esports and how to promote an organization’s reach through the use of social media and other marketing strategies.

“I want students to have a better understanding of all aspects of esports so they can find which areas of esports interest them the most,” Dobbins said. “The industry is growing so much with new ways to work with esports, each student can find a job specific to their interests and skills.”

The class will participate in district tournaments and other competitions later in the year, and to do so, they are equipped with six computers and notable accessories such as the mouse, a Logitech G Pro Wireless and the keyboard, a Razer BlackWidow V3.

Senior Grayson Farese was a part of the esports team last year and is looking for those competitive opportunities. However, he is optimistic about learning as he hasn’t given other fields as much attention.

“Competing is a big part as to why I joined esports so I hope the class will grow to play more against other schools in the future, even if I won’t be there to participate,” Farese said. “I’ve already learned about different types of games that I’ve never played before and I’m excited to learn the marketing behind tournaments and organizations.”